Writing Words of Wonder- Walking Home from the chat

Home Forums Writing Words of Wonder with El Rhodes Writing Words of Wonder- Walking Home from the chat

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
AuthorPosts
Andrew Stuck
Andrew Stuck
Keymaster

Hi Everyone

Many thanks for taking part in El Rhodes Writing Words of Wonder: Walking Home workshop on Friday – here blow is what appeared in the chat. If you return to the Event page, you can watch the video on Youtube.

Writing Words of Wonder – Walking Home with El Rhodes
14 Jan 2022
(11:01) Sue (wivenhoewriter): I had to download the software so maybe that’s the hold up`?
(11:02) Kath: apologies, laptop decided to reload Bluejeans App
(11:06) Camille: Yes apologies software download issues here too
(11:08) Simon Cole: Apologies. Meeting overran.
(11:13) Kath: South East London
(11:13) Sarah: North Wilts. Brilliant blue sky but still freezing. It’s 11.16.
(11:13) Sue (wivenhoewriter): Essex, 11.15, bright and frosty
(11:13) Andy: Plymouth, 11.13am and it is sunny with blue skies – as it always is in Devon!
(11:13) El Rhodes: Wiltshire, frost on rooves, 11:15
(11:13) Kath: 11:13am, cold and sunny
(11:13) Catherine Anne Banks: I’m Catherine in Surrey, UK. It’s 11.1am here, sunny but very cold weather with frost still on the ground and on the cars.
(11:13) Vanessa: I live in St Albans, it is just past eleven in the morning and it is a beautiful winter’s day here!
(11:13) Camille: I’m in the suburbs of NW London and it’s frosty and sunny
(11:13) Diane Woodrow: I’m in Abergele on the North Wales coast. It is 11.12 and the sun is shining and cold
(11:13) Mum: mid morning, Brixton and cold
(11:13) David Richmond: Bristol UK lovely crisp wintry day
(11:13) Tamsin: Edinburgh / Scotland ; 11.15 ; bright cloudy not too cold
(11:13) Simon Cole: Cold but sunny Hackney marshes 🙂
(11:14) Anna Goodchild: South Devon Very cloudy & cold
(11:14) janho: An Essex village. Beautiful day!
(11:15) Andrew Stuck: Greenwich 00 degrees longitude and alomost 0 degrees celsius – frosty
(11:15) Tamsin: Am about to shift to laptop so will appear again if that’s OK Andrew. Sorry, laptop playing up big time
(11:15) Andrew Stuck: OK Tamsin
(11:16) Simon Cole: The boring truth that the work is in the edit?
(11:17) Simon Cole: Bah!
(11:17) Tamsin: 👍
(11:18) Andrew Stuck: But you have the perfect piece (s) by Monday 31 January at midnight!
(11:19) El Rhodes: green, burgundy, orange, red cars, white, blue blue blue, more green
(11:20) Kath: grey, brown, black and white, green and multi coloured cars
(11:20) Diane Woodrow: green, brown, red brick, white, black, blue, orange, different shades of green, different reds, greys,
(11:20) Catherine Anne Banks: white, silver, blue, yellow, violet, red, bluey-grey, lavender, green
(11:20) Sue (wivenhoewriter): brick-brown, pavement-grey, dirty white, green, russet, Burgundy,
(11:20) Andy: Grey, red, yelllow, orange, black, stone, white, blue
(11:20) Camille: grey, white, brown, sky blue, purple shop sign, royal blue,
(11:20) Vanessa: slate grey, terracotta red, dirty white, sparkling silver, pristine blue, pebbledash brown, tree green
(11:20) El Rhodes: yellow, emerald, white again, brown, green, orange, green, green, all the shades of green
(11:20) Sarah: grey, ashplalt, black, lots of brown, mud brown, greens – lots, blue, azure, white, terracotta.
(11:20) Camille: how did I forget green
(11:20) Tamsin: Lime slate electric blue lemon sherbet beige shit brown scarlet almost-white blackish
(11:20) Andrew Stuck: vermouth – is that a colour? grey, black – all the cars these days are dark in colour and I can’t tell if they are black, or blue or grey, green, red and shades of each in front door colours
(11:20) Anna Goodchild: grey; terracotta;black;white;greens;browns; beiges; red;
(11:21) Simon Cole: A wide range of leafy greens and earthy/woody browns. I could be better at describing colour, I realise in this moment.
(11:21) Mum: london yellow stock, london red stock, pavement grey and silver birch green
(11:21) janho: Green, brown, grey, blue, pale yellow, dirty white, slate grey brick brown
(11:21) Andrew Stuck: mottled yellow brincks and salate grey rooves
(11:22) Andrew Stuck: Nice to see you Tasmin!
(11:22) Andrew Stuck: Tamsin – apologies
(11:23) Tamsin Grainger: Thanks Andrew, good to be here 🙂
(11:27) janho: was that road?
(11:27) El Rhodes: word one – road
(11:29) Mum: El – sorry for having a blank screen, I’m not on my computer and no camera hence I think I am ‘Mum’ I’m Jane.
(11:31) El Rhodes: word two – view
(11:35) El Rhodes: word three – distance
(11:39) El Rhodes: word four – footsore
(11:43) Andrew Stuck: trying to guess what the the fifth word will be…
(11:43) El Rhodes: word five – gate OR gait
(11:54) Simon Cole: I’ve just realised my video is off so you’ve not seen any of my extravagant thumbs up gestures. Doh.
(11:54) Camille: Can that fourth stage be achieved without looking like you’re proselytesing?
(12:00) El Rhodes: Over the next ten minutes I invite you to choose a section you’re especially happy with and re-write it – changing either the Point of View and/or the Tense.
(12:14) Andrew Stuck: I ran off to write a whole new story…
(12:14) Vanessa: Tried writing in future tense and I feel I overused ‘will’
(12:23) El Rhodes: Please list all your nouns! the ‘name’ words – you may have concrete and abstract and proper nouns
(12:25) Kath: sorry, have to leave now, but hopefully catch the end on the recording. Thanks for the prompts and processes
(12:25) El Rhodes: Bye Kath!
(12:29) El Rhodes: Now, Id like you to find new verbs to describe the ‘actions’ of those nouns in your prose or poetry – the idea is that you end up with no instances of the ‘to do’ verb anywhere, and they’re all interesting verbs instead.
(12:30) El Rhodes: Examples –
(12:30) Camille: I don’t understand. So for example would road turn into meander?
(12:30) El Rhodes: the hedgerow – cudgelled
(12:30) El Rhodes: the road – meandered
(12:31) El Rhodes: the meander – swerved
(12:31) Camille: but then do you still use the word road? or are you saying menader without a noun
(12:31) El Rhodes: it could do, Camille what kinds of things could the road do? in the landscape, in your day, in the walk?
(12:32) El Rhodes: id use both – the road meanderd up the hill
(12:32) El Rhodes: its just much more interesting than the road went up the hill
(12:33) El Rhodes: but i might use it as a new noun!
(12:34) Simon Cole: Tamped the road
Pursued the walk
Eviscerated information
Pinpointed signals
Taxonomised signs
(12:34) Sarah: House slept
Traffic chewed
Lichen stained

(12:34) El Rhodes: the moss – cushioned
(12:34) David Richmond: words catseyed
(12:35) Vanessa: panther-pounced instead of the dog ran out. Not sure if I am doing this right?!
(12:35) janho: wheel-rucked pushchair
(12:35) Catherine Anne Banks: slithering veins; pulsating scent as midnight enfolded me.
(12:35) Andrew Stuck: phone box winked, pub spat, gate slammed
(12:35) Tamsin Grainger: my dog wagged around the hut
(12:35) Diane Woodrow: sun battled – as in the sun rising above the hills
(12:35) janho: hat-smothered baby
(12:36) Anna Goodchild: feet anticipated; intervals solidified; the inane rigidified
(12:39) El Rhodes: the sense of place, the voice, the movement, the title, the evocation of experience
(12:39) Sarah: POV feeling, atmosphere, emotion, random sentences
(12:39) Mum: sense of place an ending, short and concise
(12:39) Sue (wivenhoewriter): emotion, atmosphere, voice, POV, tense
(12:40) Diane Woodrow: emotion, pace, colours, lost ,
(12:40) Andy: character, what’s it about, sense of place, POV
(12:40) Catherine Anne Banks: verbifying nouns, expressing feelings, haptic words.
(12:40) Simon Cole: repetition; consistency; beginning/middle/end; universality; deep truth
(12:40) janho: POV, place, emotion, dialogue, tense
(12:40) Vanessa: Short sentences amid longer ones. A couple of interesting descriptions. specific details, working two levels – the place but also endings and added some dialogue
(12:40) Andrew Stuck: song lyrics as a mechanism to change a character’s feelings, describing a kink in the road, making the phone box respond to a character’s view of it, finding ways of describing people without describing them as people,
(12:41) Anna Goodchild: changing the viewpoint and the tense because it gives me the idea that I don’t know what is going to happen. 2. Thinking differently bout the verbs. 3. feelings; 4. no unifying verbs; 5. focusing on an idea
(12:41) Andrew Stuck: Throw it away
(12:41) janho: Write a beginning
(12:41) janho: write an end
(12:41) Diane Woodrow: tighten it and decide what to leave out
(12:42) El Rhodes: five things you’ll do next!
(12:42) Sarah: Change ending, rewrite beginning, play with tense, cull.
(12:42) Vanessa: Look again at nouns, make more interesting verbs, look at what I can cut, sharpen the beginning, and see if there is a better tie between beginning and end
(12:42) janho: set the scene
(12:42) Sue (wivenhoewriter): think about structure, simplify, extend the metaphor, read it out loud then start again!!!
(12:42) janho: Add more sensory detail
(12:42) Andrew Stuck: Probably walk the route again, so I make sure I observe more of the surroundings, and then rewirite it
(12:42) Andy: Find what it’s really about, find a satisfying ending. more veribifying nouns and more detail
(12:42) David Richmond: identify core; simplify; change point of view, tense and form
(12:42) Catherine Anne Banks: type it out; re-edit; add my verbifying words; re-edit; check word-count
(12:43) Tamsin Grainger: count the words, cut, look for the underlying core,
(12:43) Mum: look at the opening sentence, add some more colour and maybe a couple more sentences
(12:43) janho: Add more detail that will give a hint of the underlying theme
(12:43) Simon Cole: Try all present tense; try all 3rd person; insert more kinaesthetic elements; shorten beginning/end; remove extraneous
(12:44) Diane Woodrow: look back over the video I recorded of the sunrise this morning to get more ideas of colour, sound, etc. Tighten it, do the noun/verb thing some more, decide on a tense,
(12:50) Anna Goodchild: 5 things that I am going to do next to my piece:
1. Develop it; 2. get an introductory sentence? 3. develop my subject? 4. get a rhythm? 5. Figure out what the piece is about?

(12:56) Simon Cole: Thank you!
(12:56) Vanessa: Great session – thanks El
(12:56) Sue (wivenhoewriter): thank you
(12:56) Diane Woodrow: Thank you, El. Loved this morning
(12:56) Andy: Thank you.
(12:56) Camille: A question: Should we think of second meaning before we start writing?
(12:57) David Richmond: Thanks El, I was nervous coming in, but that was very helpful – and enjoyable – thanks again
(12:57) janho: Learnt a lot. thank you
(12:57) Mum: thank you- really great
(12:57) Camille: thanks
(12:57) El Rhodes: Camille – sometimes the second meaning emerges as you write!
(12:57) Tamsin Grainger: Thank you very much El
(12:57) Camille: thank you!
(12:57) Sarah: Thank you El, love the heart/head/gut trio.
(12:58) Catherine Anne Banks: Thank you very much.. as ever, for your inspiration and interest. I feel much more enthusiastic now.
(12:59) El Rhodes: Sometimes you can layer it in after! sometimes you can work it in through editing – that’s what happens to me when i work out what story I’m REALLy trying to tell
(13:00) El Rhodes: I’m so excited to read all the stories that come through! I love tiny flash! make sure i don’t make the longlist!
(13:02) Diane Woodrow: Thanks to both Andrew and El. Need to go and sort lunch now XX
(13:02) Anna Goodchild: Thank you very much.
(13:02) Sarah: Thanks both.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.