We understand the limitations this poses, but also hope for the creative challenges this might spark, and warmly welcome submissions that take these limitations and challenges into account.
Running throughout the month of September, Sound Walk September (SWS) is a global community event, celebrating outdoor audio, geo-located, immersive performances, sound walks and audio-enhanced walking pieces, and is coordinated by walk · listen · create, backed by a global advisory board of prominent experts and by institutional and academic partners worldwide.
A sound walk, or walking piece, is any walk that focuses on listening to the environment, with, or without, use of technology, or adds to the experience through the use of sound or voice. This can include a scripted or choreographed score or work that has additional audio elements.
During Sound Walk September we encourage, host, and organize events related to sound walking, complemented with curated activities throughout the world.
- walk · listen · create maintains a public archive of walking pieces and events.
- Sound Walk September will facilitate a worldwide network of creatives, institutions and museums to share practices and knowledge around sound walks and walking pieces, by inviting and involving individuals and institutions as partners of SWS as a platform for sharing practices and knowledge.
- Sound Walk September will bring together a collaborative resource of educative materials, that will be available to the public, allowing broad groups of people to create their own sound walks.
The next edition of Sound Walk September will start on September 1, 2021 and will run until September 30, 2021.
We call on the creation of sound walks and walking pieces. We invite all interested in exploring the impact and possibilities of sound walking to submit existing and new work.
- We call for the submission of existing and new sound walks and walking pieces via the on-line form here. Successful submissions will be included in our online directory of walking pieces.
- We call for the creation of events connected to walking pieces or sound walks, to be realized during Sound Walk September, to be submitted here. Successful submissions will be included in our online directory of events.
- We call for the organization of sound walk and walking piece related workshops around the world, to be realized during Sound Walk September 2021. Contact us for details.
Open to everyone for instance: creatives, artists, sound artists, musicians, poets, architects, performers, designers, anthropologists, writers, health and wellness professionals, cultural and social professionals, educators, teachers, students, those interested to explore the impact and possibilities of sound walking.
To be considered for the Sound Walk September 2021 Awards, every new sound walk created after September 30, 2020 is eligible, and every event related to sound walking held during September 2021 is eligible.
To be considered for inclusion in our media releases, submissions should be made before August 1, 2021.
Sound Walk September is brought together by a core group contributing their time and experience voluntarily. We are looking at ways of making Sound Walk September financially sustainable, including grant applications, sponsorship and donations in kind through partnerships with institutions.
Declaration on submission
Entrants declare that the work submitted is their own and that its rights have not been transferred to third parties. Entrants assume all liability for any claim or demand by third parties, administrative, judicial or of other nature, concerning intellectual property or rights of the submitted work. Submission implies that entrants hold all necessary rights to perform and publish the entered work, and are authorized to grant and does grant said rights to walk · listen · create, for exhibition and publication by walk · listen · create.
Entrants grant the sound clips of their work, for promotional purposes of Sound Walk September, to be broadcast in any media, and the publications of the submitted images, in online or print form. This rights assignment to Sound Walk September will not imply, for the entrant, in any form whatsoever, loss of copyright of the submitted work.
Safety is of the utmost importance. Please do not suggest routes that are hazardous or include commentary that is defamatory or misleading.