Sound Walk September 2019
Dozens of events in many countries, covering all inhabited continents of the world, took place during September 2019.
After Andrew Stuck pioneered Sound Walk Sunday in 2017, he teamed up, at the end of 2018, with Geert Vermeire, the convenor of Made of Walking, writer, curator and a locative multi-media expert with a focus on the environment, travelling and living in between Europe and Brazil, and with Babak Fakhamzadeh, an award winning locative app developer, based in Sao Paulo in Brazil, we reprised Sound Walk Sunday in 2019 as a global festival, in a joint organisational structure of the Museum of Walking and Made of Walking, with key institutional partners in Brazil, Australia, Greece, Spain, Germany and Poland.
Stella Wisdom, Digital Curator at the British Library hosted, in the run up to Sound Walk Sunday, our ‘Explore with Sound Walks’ symposium, a half day event in June 2019, which saw presentations from experts from Poland, Greece, Spain, Brazil and the UK. By this time, we realised that Sound Walk Sunday was evolving into a month-long Sound Walk September, becoming not only a showcase for innovation, but also a valued community-building resource, bringing practitioners together, many of whom are remotely working creatives who had previously felt isolated or ‘ploughing a lonely furrow’.
Dozens of events in many countries, covering all inhabited continents of the world, took place during September 2019. The events for 2019 are listed on the Museum of Walking website, the original home of Sound Walk September.
- 80+ live events
- 40+ countries
- 50+ walking pieces made in 2019 eligible for an Award
- 2 joint winners, 4 honourable mentions
Experience a walking piece
The listing of walking pieces which Andrew started on the Museum of Walking website has grown into our directory of walking pieces. Check out the directory to discover sound walks to listen to or follow.
Walking in step with
For 2019, we would like to acknowledge the support of:
- Andrew Stuck, founder of the Museum of Walking – UK.
- Geert Vermeire, founder of Made of Walking – Brazil/Belgium.
- Babak Fakhamzadeh, award winning app developer – Brazil.
Key contributors and supporters
- Marcin Barski, founder of IPD (Soundscape Institute of Poland) – Poland.
- Hamish Sewell, founder of Soundtrails – Australia.
- NG Bristow – Goldsmith’s, University College London UK
- LISTEN, – a summer of sound Frome – co-ordinator Mel Day, curator Helen Ottaway from ArtMusic – UK.
- Department of Fine and Applied Arts, University of Western Macedonia (Florina and Lesbos, Greece). Organiser of Walking Arts Encounters-Conference Prespes 2019.
- hearing places – an Australian online umbrella for creative projects which unite sound and place.
- Stella Wisdom, Digital Curator at the British Library
- The many artists and creatives who have submitted their work.
|1 - 30 Sep, 2019|
You must log in to post a comment.