CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Artistic Research Working Group of Performance Studies international (PSi)
PSi 28: Uhambo Luyazilawula (Embodied Wandering Practices)
Online Exchange: 30 June / 30 July / 30 August
In-Person: 2-5 August
The Artistic Research Working Group (ARWG) of Performance Studies international (PSi) invites proposals to its 2023 gatherings. Following the ARWG’s established “PERFORM/RESPOND/EXTEND” framework, three interconnected online gatherings will be held, one month apart, between 30 June and 30 August, 2023.
The ARWG in-person gathering will be held onsite in conjunction with PSi 28 in Johannesburg, South Africa, 2 – 5 August 2023.
The PSi 28 theme — Uhambo Luyazilawula (Embodied Wandering Practices) — is particularly well-suited to the ARWG’s preoccupations. The conference Call for Proposals (https://www.psi-web.org/2022/11/28/call-for-proposals-psi28-johannesburg-2023/) explicitly emphasizes “performative ‘wanderings’: creative journeys and intersections between past, present, and future, digital and in-person” and “alternative epistemologies: explorations of undiscovered performances, pedagogies and practices.” In this, it clearly shares the ARWG’s priorities of “mobility, wandering, and fluidity” in terms of subject matter and process design.
March 30 / deadline for proposals
April 30 / acceptances announced and ‘perform/respond/extend’ partnerships established
June 30 / online gathering #1: participants make initial presentations/performances
July 30 / online gathering #2: participants offer a performative response to designated presentations/performances
August 30 / online gathering #3: participants offer a performative ‘extension’ of designated presentations and responses
As noted, above, the ARWG in-person gathering will emphasize artistic research exchange with South African artists and artist-researchers new to the ARWG. It will be held onsite in conjunction with PSi 28 in Johannesburg, South Africa, 2 – 5 August 2023.
- a detailed description of the ‘perform/respond/extend’ framework will be provided to all accepted participants
- participants are strongly encouraged to contribute to all three online stages of the perform/respond/extend framework
- all presentations and responses are limited to a maximum of 10 minutes in length
- participation at the onsite gathering in Johannesburg during PSi 28 is welcomed but not a requirement; more information about the in-person gathering will be shared as details are confirmed
Please send proposals for the online sessions no later than 30 March 2023 to [email protected]. All proposals should adhere to the following guidelines:
- 250 – 300 word description of artistic research project, question or area of focus, including relationship to conference theme
- include name, affiliation (if any), and preferred email address
- Indication of commitment to all three online events (June 30, July 30 & August 30)
- Indication of interest in attending the ARWG session in Johannesburg
Questions can also be sent to [email protected].
Annette Arlander / Bruce Barton / Johanna Householder
Convenors, Artistic Research Working Group
Performance Studies international (PSi)
You must log in to post a comment.